Thursday, November 5, 2015

Today's Words of Wisdom - November 5, 2015

Today is the birthday of the following people:



Will Durant (1885 – 1981):
“Sixty years ago I knew everything; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.”

and
“Every science begins as philosophy and ends as art; it arises in hypothesis and flows into achievement.”

and
“Forget mistakes. Forget failure. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it. Today is your lucky day.”

and
“There have been only 268 of the past 3,421 years free of war.”

and
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

and
“To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves…let us be above such transparent egotism.”




Eugene V. Debs (1855 – 1926):
“I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.”

and
“I may not be able to say all I think, but I am not going to say anything I do not think.”




John Berger (1926 - ):
“When we read a story, we inhabit it. The covers of the book are like a roof and four walls. What is to happen next will take place within the four walls of the story. And this is possible because the story's voice makes everything its own.”

and
“My heart born naked
was swaddled in lullabies.
Later alone it wore
poems for clothes.
Like a shirt
I carried on my back
the poetry I had read.

So I lived for half a century
until wordlessly we met.

From my shirt on the back of the chair
I learn tonight
how many years
of learning by heart
I waited for you.”




Art Garfunkel (1941 - ):
“Everything worth doing starts with being scared.”




Sam Shepard (1943 - ):
“When you hit a wall – of your own imagined limitations – just kick it in.”

and
“I hate endings. Just detest them. Beginnings are definitely the most exciting, middles are perplexing and endings are a disaster. … The temptation towards resolution, towards wrapping up the package, seems to me a terrible trap. Why not be more honest with the moment? The most authentic endings are the ones which are already revolving towards another beginning. That’s genius.”




Gram Parsons (1946 – 1973):
"We don't wear sequins because we think we're great. We wear them because we think sequins are great."




Bill Walton (1952 - ):

Bill tells a story about showing up to the first day of practice with legendary coach John Wooden, who was quite strict about rules. Walton showed up with long hair and a full beard, despite the fact that it was against the Coach’s rules of appearance. “It’s my right,” Walton told him. Coach Wooden asked him if he believed that strongly in keeping the long hair and beard. Walton replied that he did. “That’s good, Bill,” Coach said, “I admire people who have strong beliefs and stick by them, I really do. We’re going to miss you.” Bill immediately got a haircut and a shave in the locker room.




No comments: