Friday, November 13, 2015

Today's Words of Wisdom - November 13, 2015

Today is the birthday of the following people:



Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 – 1894):
“We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.”

and
“So long as we love we serve; so long as we are loved by others, I would almost say that we are indispensable; and no man is useless while he has a friend.”

and
“I kept always two books in my pocket, one to read, one to write in.”

and

“I regard you with an indifference closely bordering on aversion.”




Whoopi Goldberg (1955 - ):
“I don’t have pet peeves, I have whole kennels of irritation.”




Aayan Hirsi Ali (1969 - ):
“Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice.”

and
“As a reader, I could put on someone else's shoes and live through his adventures, borrow his individuality and make choices that I didn't have at home.”




Buck O’Neil (1911- 2006):
"Don't shed any tears. You think about this: Here I am, the grandson of a slave. And here the whole world was excited about whether I was going into the Hall of Fame or not. We've come a long ways."




Louis Brandeis (1856 -1941):
“The intensity and complexity of life, attendant upon advancing civilization, have rendered necessary some retreat from the world."

and
“Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman.”

and
“We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.”







No comments: