Sunday, November 22, 2015

50 Observations of a Record Collector

50 Observations of a Record Collector

I just completed a journey. As with some journeys, it took longer than I expected. I listened to every record in my collection, in somewhat of an order, starting from either end of the alphabet and alternating records from each side until I got to the middle. My collection isn’t huge by most serious collectors' standards, but it is sizable compared to most amateurs. I started this journey on April 26, 2015 and completed the journey on November 22, 2015. In that time I made some observations. These are the 50 I made, in mostly alphabetical order, regarding my own taste and my own burgeoning collection of records.


First song listened to on April 26, 2015: “Take on Me” by A-ha (Side one of Hunting High & Low, 1985, Warner Bros. Records)

It was as if my collection were daring me…



Last song listened to on November 22, 2015: “Open Arms” by Journey (Side two of Escape, 1981, Columbia Records)

…but then embraced me upon the completion of the trek, as I escaped from my self-imposed prison.


1. I don’t have nearly enough AC/DC, and I can't tell whether they are underrated or overrated. I don't take sides on the Bon Scott / Brian Johnson issue, but I am in agreement with Otto, the bus driver. The correct spelling includes a lightning bolt.

2. “In a Big Country” by Big Country is a much better song than people realize.


3. There is such a thing as a perfect record. It is called “Boston” by Boston.

4. Obtaining David Bowie’s entire catalog has been a chore, and unless he reissues certain albums, I might never complete the set. Bowie's new album is being released in January, and he has been very savvy about reissuing his albums. But, he could be less savvy. Just sayin'...

5. Later Clash albums are better than you think they are, but early Clash is still supreme.

6. Jazz records. That is all…

7. I have all of Elvis Costello's first 12 albums. I wonder if getting #13, "Mighty Like a Rose" will be unlucky...

8. I don’t have nearly enough Cure. Nor do you. If anyone has been more stingy than Bowie about album rereleases, it's Robert Smith. 

9. Depeche Mode is deeper than you think they are.

10. Sure, Eagles is a band made up of terrible people, but man do they have some hits.

11. Even alternating albums, one can get sick of one artist played consistently.

12. “Heaven Up Here” by Echo & the Bunnymen is a pain in the ass to find. And no, I don't want to have my album covers sullied by the "Mobile Fidelity" logo on the top. One of the reasons I enjoy collecting albums is for the art. Why would they do that? 

13. I have just enough Fleetwood Mac. Some bands have a sweet spot. That is, they hit a magic moment in their career, rode it out, and then never got it back. 


14. Vince Guaraldi’s “A Charlie Brown Christmas” is the only Christmas album is will ever purchase for myself. Don't bother trying to convince me. I spent 16 years with Christmas music in retail. I'm done. This melancholy album is the only one I need, thanks. 

15. I have just enough Hall & Oates records. Sweet spot. A big sweet spot, but still…

16. I bought Icicle Works’ debut album for one song, but WHAT a song! “Birds Fly (Whisper to a Scream)”

17. For a band that had only two official albums, I sure have a lot of Joy Division. Joy Division is the opposite of The Cure in terms of release strategy. We have everything. STOP. 

18. I feel a strange compulsion to own every KISS record. I don't know why. It has something to do with my youth. They were mysterious. They were taboo. But they are also just straightforward rock and roll.

19. Having every Led Zeppelin album in my collection is a kind of zen-like peace.

20. I have a lot of 80’s stuff. Like…a LOT.


21. I still need Van Morrison’s “Astral Weeks.” I know there are some out there. Q Magazine used to have a regular section on the best Sunday morning albums. This is the ultimate. My Sundays won't be fulfilled without it. 

22. Reacquiring all of New Order’s albums is difficult and I am hoping a new reissue series comes out with better quality. If you're going to spend a bunch of money on reissues, one should take the time to make sure they are done right. 

23. Pretty much all of Oingo Boingo’s albums are my collective white whale. Should I complete the full discography, I think I might revert into my 7th grade self. I'll get aqua colored contacts again, get a bunch of unrequited crushes, and start a comic book collection.

24.  Out of Prince’s first ten amazing albums, I am oddly missing #1 and #10. Prince and David Bowie are my two favorite artists, hands down. They are also the collections that are the most difficult to complete. Most of the reason is their longevity into a time in which records weren't made. 

25. I don’t have nearly enough Queen albums. This is one of the few bands I started out listening to on the bus to elementary school ("Another One Bites the Dust") and grew a larger respect for as I was exposed to more of their operatic stuff. They grew into a cartoon of themselves around the "Highlander" / "Flash Gordon" era, but still decent.

26. I still like “Pablo Honey” more than most people, but it is still the last record from Radiohead I have yet to obtain.

27. I desperately need more Rocket from the Crypt stuff. One of the most underrated bands out there. I don't understand how they didn't become superstars. 

28. I don’t have nearly enough Rolling Stones albums, which seems odd considering how many are out there. I shouldn't say I don't have enough. I could easily own albums like "Undercover." What I mean is that I need to complete the sweet spot. I just need "Goat's Head Soup." 

29. The two albums from Run the Jewels are favorites in my collection. Hip-hop fans, get these.


30. Scritti Politti is so damn good. I don’t understand the flack they get. Plus, I played “The Word Girl (Flesh & Blood)” for my kids and they LOVED it. They are bound to one day get the attention they deserve. 

31. In my old age, I am finding myself much more forgiving of some artists I used to dislike, but now find as some of my favorites (Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, The White Stripes, Joe Jackson, No Doubt, musicals in general)

32. The most prized album I have is a vinyl boxed set of Sigur Ros’ first four records, called collectively, “In a Frozen Sea.”

33. Getting all the Smiths albums, which once would have been a huge priority, has become a slow, deliberate process. I feel as though I just haven’t earned it yet, baby.

34. I have all the right Bruce Springsteen albums. I don’t need anymore. He's not the "boss" of me. The first seven are enough. (That said, these seven albums are phenomenal). 

35. I don’t have nearly enough Talking Heads albums. Out of the first six (the ones I want) I only have one. Now that there are reissues, maybe I'll see some used copies come around.

36. Finding a pristine copy of “Songs from the Big Chair” by Tears for Fears was a banner day for me. This album will go down in history as one that will easily represent the 80's as a great decade for music.


37. Buying “Ice Cream Castle” by The Time is, for me, a correction of a 7th grade travesty, as my mother made me get rid of the cassette. 


38. There is such a thing as a perfect record. It is called “CrazySexyCool” by TLC.

39. Anything post-“Rattle & Hum” by U2 is impossible to find or unaffordable.

40. Regarding #31, The Doors still suck.

41. Metal sounds great on vinyl.

42. I am torn over getting more Van Halen records. I mean, I could…

43. I have all the Velvet Underground’s albums. They are excellent. More great examples of Sunday morning albums. 

44. Only collectors know the exquisite torture of only having a small handful of albums by a prolific artist. Oh, The Who, what have you done to me?

45. I only need to get one more album in Stevie Wonder’s “sweet spot.” – “Music of My Mind.”


46. I need more X. Like, a lot more. But, getting “Los Angeles” was a magical day. If you haven't heard them, they are the most underrated punk band of all time. 

47. I need more XTC. I don't know if I'm willing to call them the 80's version of the Beatles, as some were wont to do, but they were quite good.

48. Getting Neil Young’s catalog (the man has 40 studio albums, 7 live albums, and several soundtracks / collections) is going to be a chore. But, I’m up to the task.


49. I have an album from artists that begin with every letter except for “Z”. I already know what my first Z album will be, “Odessey and Oracle” by the Zombies.



50. I won’t be happy until my condo looks like Rob Gordon’s in High Fidelity.




No comments: