Sunday, November 29, 2015

Today's Words of Wisdom - November 29, 2015

Today is the birthday of the following people:



Madeleine L’Engle (1918 – 2007):
“A self is not something static, tied up in a pretty parcel and handed to the child, finished and complete. A self is always becoming.”

and
“A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”

and
“When we were children, we used to think that when we were grown-up we would no longer be vulnerable. But to grow up is to accept vulnerability... To be alive is to be vulnerable.”




Louisa May Alcott (1832 – 1888):
“I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”

and
“Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.”

and
“I want to do something splendid…
Something heroic or wonderful that won’t be forgotten after I’m dead…
I think I shall write books.”

and
“There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.”




C.S. Lewis (1898 – 1963):
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You too? I thought that no one but myself ...'”

and
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”

and
“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”

and
“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.”




Vin Scully (1927 - ):
"Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant good evening to you, wherever you may be. It’s time for Dodger baseball!”




Garry Shandling (1949 - ):

“My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem. But they don't really know me.”




No comments: