Saturday, January 17, 2015

January 17, 2015

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790):
“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”

and
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

and
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

and
“I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.”

and
“Much virtue in herbs, little in men.”





Anne Brontë (1820 -1849):
“But he who dares not grasp the thorn
Should never crave the rose.”

and
“But smiles and tears are so alike with me, they are neither of them confined to any particular feelings: I often cry when I am happy, and smile when I am sad.”

and
“I am satisfied that if a book is a good one, it is so whatever the sex of the author may be. All novels are or should be written for both men and women to read, and I am at a loss to conceive how a man should permit himself to write anything that would be really disgraceful to a woman, or why a woman should be censured for writing anything that would be proper and becoming for a man.”




Nevil Shute (1899 – 1960):
“You cannot argue stupidity, you just have to accept it patiently as one of those things.”

and
“You can only do a thing for the first time once, and that goes for falling in love.”




William Stafford (1914 – 1993):
“Wisdom is having things right in your life and knowing why.”

and
“Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music.”




Muhammad Ali (1942 - ):
“Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.”

and
“If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.”

and
“Don't count the days, make the days count.”

and
“Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong.”

and
“It’s hard to be humble when you’re as great as I am.”




Susanna Hoffs (1959 - ):
“Say my name, sun shines through the rain”




Stephin Merritt (1966 - ):
The book of love is long and boring
No one can lift the damn thing
It's full of charts and facts and figures
and instructions for dancing
but I, I love it when you read to me
and you, you can read me anything

The book of love has music in it
In fact that's where music comes from
Some of it is just transcendental
Some of it is just really dumb
but I, I love it when you sing to me
and you, you can sing me anything

The book of love is long and boring
and written very long ago
It's full of flowers and heart-shaped boxes
and things we're all too young to know
but I, I love it when you give me things
and you, you ought to give me wedding rings
I, I love it when you give me things
and you, you ought to give me wedding rings




Michelle Obama (1964 - ):
“You can't make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen.”

and
“Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. And trust your instincts ... good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don't hurt. They're not painful. That's not just with somebody you want to marry, but it's with the friends that you choose. It's with the people you surround yourselves with.”




Richard Hawley (1967 - ):
“Do you know how to kill loneliness at last
Oh there's so much there to heal dear
And make tears things of the past
But do you know that tonight, the streets are ours.”




Zooey Deschanel (1980 - ):

“Being tender and open is beautiful. As a woman, I feel continually shhh’ed. Too sensitive. Too mushy. Too wishy washy. Blah blah. Don’t let someone steal your tenderness. Don’t allow the coldness and fear of others to tarnish your perfectly vulnerable beating heart. Nothing is more powerful than allowing yourself to truly be affected by things.”




No comments: