Monday, January 12, 2015

January 12, 2015

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Charles Perrault (1628 – 1703):
“FIRST MORAL
Good manners are not easy
They need a little care,
But when we least expect it
Bring rewards both rich and rare.

SECOND MORAL

Brute force or bribes of diamonds
Bend others to your will,
But gentle words have greater power
And gain more conquests still.”




Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797):
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

and
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”

and
“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

and
“Never apologise for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologise for the truth.”

and
If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free. If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.”





John Singer Sargent (1856 – 1925):
“Cultivate an ever continuous power of observation. Wherever you are, be always ready to make slight notes of postures, groups and incidents. Store up in the mind... a continuous stream of observations from which to make selections later. Above all things get abroad, see the sunlight and everything that is to be seen.”





Jack London (1876 – 1916):
“Don't loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club.”

and
“A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.”

and
“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”




Haruki Murakami (1949 - ):
“If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”

and
“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”

and
“Reading was like an addiction; I read while I ate, on the train, in bed until late at night, in school, where I'd keep the book hidden so I could read during class. Before long I bought a small stereo and spent all my time in my room, listening to jazz records. But I had almost no desire to talk to anyone about the experience I gained through books and music. I felt happy just being me and no one else. In that sense I could be called a stuck-up loner.”




Walter Mosley (1952 - ):
“If you want to be a writer, you have to write every day... You don't go to a well once but daily. You don't skip a child's breakfast or forget to wake up in the morning...”




David Mitchell (1963 - ):
“A half-read book is a half-finished love affair.”

and
“The human world is made of stories, not people. The people the stories use to tell themselves are not to be blamed.”




Zack de la Rocha (1970 - ):
"So rip the mic rip the state rip the system,

I was born to rage against them."



No comments: