Tuesday, January 13, 2015

January 13, 2015

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Horatio Alger, Jr. (1832 – 1899):
“I wrote my name upon the sand,
And trusted it would stand for aye;
But, soon, alas! the refluent sea
Had washed my feeble lines away.”




George Gurdjieff (1866 – 1949):
“It is the greatest mistake to think that man is always one and the same. A man is never the same for long. He is continually changing. He seldom remains the same even for half an hour.”

and
“By teaching others you will learn yourself.”




A.B. Guthrie, Jr. (1901 – 1991):
“Nouns and verbs are the guts of the language. Beware of covering up with adjectives and adverbs.”




Edmund White (1940 - ):
“The most important things in our intimate lives can't be discussed with strangers, except in books.”




Jay McInerney (1955 - ):
“Sometimes I think the difference between what we want and what we're afraid of is about the width of an eyelash.”

and
“Your heartbreak is just another version of the same old story.”




Lorrie Moore (1957 - ):
“I count too heavily on birthdays, though I know I shouldn't. Inevitably I begin to assess my life by them, figure out how I'm doing by how many people remember; it's like the old fantasy of attending your own funeral: You get to see who your friends are, get to see who shows up.”

and
“A short story is a love affair, a novel is a marriage. A short story is a photograph; a novel is a film.”




Bill Bailey (1964 - ):
“Nostalgia: How long's that been around?”

and

“Three blokes go into a pub. Something happens. The outcome was hilarious!”




No comments: