Monday, July 7, 2014

July 7, 2014

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Gustav Mahler (1860 – 1911):
“The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star but to go one's way in life and working unerringly, neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause.”

and
“It's not just a question of conquering a summit previously unknown, but of tracing, step by step, a new pathway to it.”

and
“When I have reached a summit, I leave it with great reluctance, unless it is to reach for another, higher one.”




Satchel Paige (1906 – 1982):
"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter."

and
"If a man can beat you, walk him."

and
"Ain’t no man can avoid being born average, but there ain’t no man got to be common."




Robert A. Heinlein (1907 – 1988):
“Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”

and
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”

and
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”




David Eddings (1931 – 2009):
“Nothing that ever happens is so unimportant that it doesn't change things.”




David McCullough (1933 - ):
“To me, history ought to be a source of pleasure. It isn't just part of our civic responsibility. To me, it's an enlargement of the experience of being alive, just the way literature or art or music is."

and
“History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are.”

and

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."



No comments: