Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 2, 2014

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...


Hermann Hesse (1877 – 1962):
“Learn what is to be taken seriously and laugh at the rest.”

and
“If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.”

and
“Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.”

and
“I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teaching my blood whispers to me.”

and
“If I know what love is, it is because of you.”




Thurgood Marshall (1908 – 1993):
“I wish I could say that racism and prejudice were only distant memories. We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust…We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.”

and
“None of us got where we are solely by pulling ourselves up
by our bootstraps. We got here because somebody -
a parent, a teacher, an Ivy League crony or a few nuns -
bent down and helped us pick up our boots.”

and
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”




Wisława Szymborska (1923 – 2012):
“When I pronounce the word Future,
the first syllable already belongs to the past.
When I pronounce the word Silence,
I destroy it.”

and
“I prefer the absurdity of writing poems

to the absurdity of not writing poems.”



No comments: