Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 31, 2014

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Fred Allen (1894 – 1956):
“If I could get my membership fee back I’d resign from the human race.”

and
“I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.”




Walt Whitman (1819 – 1892):
“What is that you express in your eyes? It seems to me more than all the print I have read in my life.”

and
“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain multitudes.”

and
“We were together. I forget the rest.”

and
“This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body.”




Adrian Tomine (1974 - ):

“If you were to go back in time and talk to the people who invented cartooning, and were doing it for newspapers, and told them that there were going to be guys who were going to do twenty-four-page long stories, they would think that was a strange use of the medium. And if you then said, they’re going to try and inject that with a singular vision and personal experience and do six-hundred-page long stories—I mean, their heads would have exploded. We might see when we look back that there were a few exceptional cases who could take this form and mutate it into something that it really wasn’t meant to do, and could do it with extreme grace and insight.”



No comments: