Tuesday, May 13, 2014

May 13, 2014

Good Morning!



Daphne Du Maurier (1907 – 1989):
“But luxury has never appealed to me, I like simple things, books, being alone, or with somebody who understands.”

and
“If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.”

and
“I am glad it cannot happen twice, the fever of first love. For it is a fever, and a burden, too, whatever the poets may say.”

and
“I have no talent for making new friends, but oh such genius for fidelity to old ones.”




Roger Zelazny (1937 – 1995):
“I like libraries. It makes me feel comfortable and secure to have walls of words, beautiful and wise, all around me. I always feel better when I can see that there is something to hold back the shadows.”

and
“Nobody steals books but your friends.”

and
“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.”




Bruce Chatwin (1940 – 1989):
“To lose a passport was the least of one’s worries. To lose a notebook was a catastrophe”

and
“The real home of man is not his house but the road. Life itself is a travel that has to be done by foot.”




Armistead Maupin (1944 - ):
“If you want to know who the oppressed minorities in America are, simply look at who gets their own shelf in the bookstore. A black shelf, a women's shelf, and a gay shelf.”

and
“My life is full of love; I designed it that way. I try to make my own experience about love and I look for kindness in others. That’s the thing I value the most: it will get you through everything.”




Stevie Wonder (1950 - ):
“You can't base your life on other people's expectations.”

and
“Here is my music. It is all I have to tell you how I feel. Know that your love keeps my love strong.”




Koji Suzuki (1957 - ):
“The world doesn't hate you as much as much as you think it does.”

and
“There was no more meaningless phrase in all of language than "Cheer up!" The only way to get someone to cheer up was to help them forget, and saying "cheer up" had quite the opposite effect, only reminding the person why he or she was depressed in the first place.”




Stephen Colbert (1964 - ):

“Remember, you cannot be both young and wise. Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying “yes” begins things. Saying “yes” is how things grow. Saying “yes” leads to knowledge. “Yes” is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say “yes'.”



No comments: