Friday, May 9, 2014

May 9, 2014

Good Morning!



Today is the birthday of J.M. Barrie (1860 – 1937) who said:
“Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.”

and
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.”

and
“Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.”

and
“Wendy," Peter Pan continued in a voice that no woman has ever yet been able to resist, "Wendy, one girl is more use than twenty boys.”

and
“Let no one who loves be called altogether unhappy. Even love unreturned has its rainbow.”

and
“If you have it [love], you don't need to have anything else, and if you don't have it, it doesn't matter much what else you have.”

and
“Shall we make a new rule of life from tonight: always try to be a little kinder than is necessary?”





It is also the birthday of Eleanor Estes (1906 – 1988) who said:
“After a long, long time she reached an important conclusion. She was never going to stand by and say nothing again.”





Happy Birthday to Richard Adams (1920 - ) who said:
“Whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you.”

and
“Animals don't behave like men,' he said. 'If they have to fight, they fight; and if they have to kill they kill. But they don't sit down and set their wits to work to devise ways of spoiling other creatures' lives and hurting them. They have dignity and animality.”




And to Charles Simic (1938 - ) who said:
“Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all others were making ships.”

and
“Poetry: three mismatched shoes at the entrance of a dark alley.”

and
“A poem is an invitation to a voyage. As in life, we travel to see fresh sights.”





Birthday greetings to Billy Joel (1949 - ) who wrote and sang:

And So It Goes

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along

I spoke to you in cautious tones
You answered me with no pretense
And still I feel I said too much
My silence is my self defense

And every time I've held a rose
It seems I only felt the thorns
And so it goes, and so it goes
And so will you soon I suppose

But if my silence made you leave
Then that would be my worst mistake
So I will share this room with you
And you can have this heart to break

And this is why my eyes are closed
It's just as well for all I've seen
And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows

So I would choose to be with you
That's if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break

And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows




Today is the birthday of Jorie Graham (1950 - ) who said:
“This is freedom. This is the force of faith. Nobody gets what they want. Never again are you the same. The longing
is to be pure. What you get is to be changed.”




It is also the birthday of Dave Gahan (1962 - ) who said:
“I still hold on to the idea that a record can really change the way I feel.”




And of Paul Heaton (1962 - ) who sang:
“Old Red's in town
And sitting late at night he doesn't make a sound
Just adding to the winkles on his deathly frown
They're only red from all the tears that I should've shed
They're only red from all the women that I could've wed
So when you look into these eyes I hope you realise

They could never be blue”









No comments: