Tuesday, February 3, 2015

February 3, 2015

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Elizabeth Blackwell (1821 – 1910):
“It is not easy to be a pioneer - but oh, it is fascinating! I would not trade one moment, even the worst moment, for all the riches in the world.”

and
“If society will not admit of woman's free development, then society must be remodeled.”




Gertrude Stein (1874 – 1946):
“We are always the same age inside.”

and
“If you can't say anything nice about anyone else, come sit next to me.”

and
“You look ridiculous if you dance
You look ridiculous if you don't dance
So you might as well dance.”

and
“You will write if you will write without thinking of the result in terms of a result, but think of the writing in terms of discovery, which is to say that creation must take place between the pen and the paper, not before in a thought or afterwards in a recasting... It will come if it is there and if you will let it come.”

and
“Writing and reading is to me synonymous with existing.”




Norman Rockwell (1894 – 1978):
“Common places never become tiresome. It is we who become tired when we cease to be curious and appreciative. We find that it is not a new scene which is needed, but a new viewpoint.”

and
“I just wanted to do something important.”




James Michener (1907 – 1997):
“I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.”

and
“Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.”

and
“I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter.”




Simone Weil (1909 – 1943):
“Love is not consolation. It is light.”

and
“Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity.”

and
“Human existence is so fragile a thing and exposed to such dangers that I cannot love without trembling.”




Joan Lowery Nixon (1927 – 2003):
“There's more to getting to where you're going then just knowing there's a road.”

and
“Dates are convenient hooks on which we can hang our memories of events. But history is all about people - people like you and me who did things to change the world.”




Paul Auster (1947 - ):
“I had jumped off the edge, and then, at the very last moment, something reached out and caught me in midair. That something is what I define as love. It is the one thing that can stop a man from falling, powerful enough to negate the laws of gravity.”

and
“Stories only happen to those who are able to tell them.”

and
“And that's why books are never going to die. It's impossible. It's the only time we really go into the mind of a stranger, and we find our common humanity doing this. So the book doesn't only belong to the writer, it belongs to the reader as well, and then together you make it what it is.”




Henning Mankell (1948 - ):
"No work would be possible without coffee."

and
“Many people make the mistake of confusing information with knowledge. They are not the same thing. Knowledge involves the interpretation of information. Knowledge involves listening.”




Rebel Wilson (1986 - ):

“At school, nobody thought I was smart and I became smart. Nobody wanted to be my friend and then I had lots of friends.”



No comments: