Sunday, February 15, 2015

February 15, 2015

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Galileo Galilei (1564 – 1642):
“I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him.”

and
“You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself.”

and
“All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them.”




Jeremy Bentham (1748 – 1832):
“Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove.”

and
“Stretching his hand up to reach the stars, too often man forgets the flowers at his feet.”

and
“There are two types of people in this world; those who divide the world into two types, and those who do not.”




Susan B. Anthony (1820 – 1906):
“Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel…the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood.”

and
“There never will be complete equality until women themselves help to make laws and elect lawmakers.”




Elihu Root (1845 – 1937):
“It is to be observed that every case of war averted is a gain in general, for it helps to form a habit of peace, and community habits long continued become standards of conduct.”




Alfred North Whitehead (1861 – 1947):
“From the very beginning of his education, the child should experience the joy of discovery.”

and
“We think in generalities, but we live in details.”




Miep Gies (1909- 2010):
“But even an ordinary secretary or a housewife or a teenager can, within their own small ways, turn on a small light in a dark room.”

and
“People should never think that you have to be a very special person to help those who need you.”




Douglas Hofstadter (1945 - ):
“Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku”




Art Spiegelman (1948 - ):
“To die, it's easy. But you have to struggle for life.”

and
“Comics are a gateway drug to literacy.”

and
“In reality, childhood is deep and rich. It's vital, mysterious, and profound. I remember my OWN childhood vividly; I knew terrible things, but I knew I mustn't let the adults *know* I knew... it would scare them.”




Matt Groening (1954 - ):
“Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.”

and
“Well, most grown-ups forget what it was like to be a kid. I vowed that I would never forget.”




Conor Oberst (1980 - ):
"First Day Of My Life"

This is the first day of my life
Swear I was born right in the doorway
I went out in the rain suddenly everything changed
They're spreading blankets on the beach

Yours is the first face that I saw
I think I was blind before I met you
Now I don't know where I am
I don't know where I've been
But I know where I want to go

And so I thought I'd let you know
That these things take forever
I especially am slow
But I realize that I need you
And I wondered if I could come home

Remember the time you drove all night
Just to meet me in the morning
And I thought it was strange you said everything changed
You felt as if you'd just woke up
And you said "this is the first day of my life
I'm glad I didn't die before I met you
But now I don't care I could go anywhere with you
And I'd probably be happy"

So if you want to be with me
With these things there's no telling
We just have to wait and see
But I'd rather be working for a paycheck
Than waiting to win the lottery
Besides maybe this time is different

I mean I really think you like me




No comments: