Thursday, August 7, 2014

August 7, 2014

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Louis Leakey (1903 – 1972):
“Far too often animals are put to sleep when they could be saved through proper care and nursing.”




James Randi (1928 - ):
“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out.”




Garrison Keillor (1942 - ):
“A book is a gift you can open again and again.”

and
“Nothing you do for children is ever wasted.”

and
“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.”

and
“One reads books in order to gain the privilege of living more than one life. People who don't read are trapped in a mine shaft, even if they think the sun is shining.”




Anne Fadiman (1953 - ):

“My daughter is seven, and some of the other second-grade parents complain that their children don't read for pleasure. When I visit their homes, the children's rooms are crammed with expensive books, but the parent's rooms are empty. Those children do not see their parents reading, as I did every day of my childhood. By contrast, when I walk into an apartment with books on the shelves, books on the bedside tables, books on the floor, and books on the toilet tank, then I know what I would see if I opened the door that says 'PRIVATE--GROWNUPS KEEP OUT': a child sprawled on the bed, reading.”



No comments: