Saturday, June 21, 2014

June 21, 2014

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations...



Jean-Paul Sartre (1905 – 1980):
“Hell is other people.”

and
“I'm going to smile, and my smile will sink down into your pupils, and heaven knows what it will become.”

and
“Better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees.”

and
“All that I know about my life, it seems, I have learned in books.”




Mary McCarthy (1912 – 1989):
“Life is a system of recurrent pairs, the poison and the antidote being eternally packaged together by some considerate heavenly druggist.”

and
“You can date the evolving life of a mind, like the age of a tree, by the rings of friendship formed by the expanding central trunk.”




Ian McEwan (1948 - ):
“A person is, among all else, a material thing, easily torn and not easily mended.”

and
“When its gone, you'll know what a gift love was. you'll suffer like this. So go back and fight to keep it.”




Anne Carson (1950 - ):
“Words bounce. Words, if you let them, will do what they want to do and what they have to do.”

and
“What would it be like
to live in a library
of melted books.

With sentences streaming over the floor
and all the punctuation
settled to the bottom as a residue.

It would be confusing.
Unforgivable.
A great adventure.”




Benazir Bhutto (1953 – 2007):
“Leadership is a commitment to an idea, to a dream, and to a vision of what can be. And my dream is for my land and my people to cease fighting and allow our children to reach their full potential regardless of sex, status, or belief.”




Edward Snowden (1983 - ):
“I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things... I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. That is not something I am willing to support or live under.”

and

“A child born today will grow up with no conception of privacy at all. They’ll never know what it means to have a private moment to themselves an unrecorded, unanalyzed thought. And that’s a problem because privacy matters; privacy is what allows us to determine who we are and who we want to be.”



No comments: