Thursday, June 19, 2014

June 19, 2014

Good Morning! Here are your daily birthday quotations!




Lou Gehrig (1903 – 1941):
“There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all.”

and
“I might have had a tough break; but I have an awful lot to live for.”




Abe Fortas (1910 – 1982):
“It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.”




Pauline Kael (1919 – 2001):
“Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash we have very little reason to be interested in them.”




Aung San Suu Kyi (1945 - ):
“War is not the only arena where peace is done to death. Wherever suffering is ignored, there will be the seeds of conflict, for suffering degrades and embitters and enrages.”

and
“ ‘Why’ is one of the most important words in any language. You have to know why the world is the way it is or you have to want to know. If you do not have this curiosity and if you do not have the intelligence in order to be able to express this curiosity in terms that others can understand than we will not be able to contribute to progress in our world.”




Tobias Wolff (1945 - ):
“We are made to persist.
that's how we find out who we are.”

and
“A true piece of writing is a dangerous thing. It can change your life.”




Salman Rushdie (1947 - ):
“Whenever someone who knows you disappears, you lose one version of yourself. Yourself as you were seen, as you were judged to be. Lover or enemy, mother or friend, those who know us construct us, and their several knowings slant the different facets of our characters like diamond-cutter's tools. Each such loss is a step leading to the grave, where all versions blend and end.”

and
“I am the sum total of everything that went before me, of all I have been seen done, of everything done-to-me. I am everyone everything whose being-in-the-world affected was affected by mine. I am anything that happens after I'm gone which would not have happened if I had not come.”

and
“A poet's work . . . to name the unnamable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world and stop it from going to sleep.”




Nick Drake (1948 – 1974):
“And now we rise
And we are everywhere.”




Macklemore (1983 - ):
“You know what makes it worth it?
To watch someone progress
To have them watch you
Someone that you respect and value and cry to
It's something so comforting cause it could bring so much truth”

and
"I learned from my teachers but became through my music"

and
“Make the money, don't let the money make you
Change the game, don't let the game change you
I'll forever remain faithful

All my people stay true”




No comments: