Sunday, August 14, 2011

Highlights from My Vinyl Collection, Part 13



This is the thirteenth installment of "Highlights from My Vinyl Collection," an appreciation of great music, not necessarily rare finds or expensive imports. This is not about "deleted Smiths singles and original, not rereleased - underlined - Frank Zappa albums," as Rob Gordon so eloquently put it, though a small few select gems might appear every now and again.



The Smithereens - "Only a Memory b/w The Seeker"

The Smithereens have unfortunately become one of those bands that is forgotten by many who lived through their time and unheard of by later generations. It is a travesty. The Smithereens gave arena rock / metal amplification to Byrds or Beatlesesque music. "Blood and Roses," the band's first big hit, was a bass heavy, moody, and rocking track that brought straightforward rock and roll back to the radio airwaves in a time dominated by new wave and synth tracks. But, it was the Smithereens' (named after a Yosemite Sam neologism) sophomore album, Green Thoughts, that vaulted them into popularity. "Only a Memory" was the first single from that album, and a prized 45rpm 7-inch record in my collection. It's not that it's valuable, merely a personal favorite. One of the reasons I prize this record is for the album track, but in this case, the b-side almost eclipses the a-side. This cover of The Who's 1970 classic, "The Seeker," is astounding. Knowing the Smithereens' reverence for their heroes, it is especially meaningful when Pat DiNizio sings, in his inimitable voice, "I asked Bobby Dylan / I asked the Beatles / I asked Timothy Leary / But he couldn't help me either...". Though 7-inch singles have resurfaced, they haven't quite reached the prominence they had, even in their decline when I was collecting them. Unfortunately, trying to find singles is like searching the internet without good SEO, you have to flip through them one by one. While I don't mind doing this while I am by myself, whenever I am with others in a record store, time is not a luxury. I'll keep looking for great records, which again reminds me of "The Seeker." I'll be searching low and high, too.

No comments: