Monday, August 8, 2011

Great Songs from My Favorite Year in Music: 1985, Part 42

Cyndi Lauper - "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough"



(Single Release: June 1985)
I've been seriously debating whether or not to include this song. It's not one of my favorites. I've never owned a copy. It's not that I don't like Cyndi Lauper. On the contrary, I think she has some great stuff. This song, however, is incredibly goofy and that is perhaps why it charms me so. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I watched The Goonies over and over again as a child. I was also into wrestling and thus enjoyed many of the cameos including that of wrestling superstar baddie as well as chewing gum and kicking ass They Live star, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. All the Goonies kids appear here, too. And apparently, though I haven't been able to spot them yet, the Bangles cameo as female pirates. Are you kidding? Susanna Hoffs in a pirate outfit? Believe me, I've looked. Though the song is kitschy and has nostalgic value, I'm not sure it merits the huge two minute plus storyline intro and a seven plus minute running time, though at least the one I've presented here isn't the extended two-parter that goes for twelve minutes. Honestly, I think any appreciation I have for this song comes from its tenuous connection (at best) to the film. But, that was enough to tip the scales in favor of including it in this blog series. Or, maybe it's not enough. Oh well, too late.

No comments: