Monday, August 22, 2011

Great Songs from My Favorite Year in Music: 1985, Part 56

Minor Threat - "Salad Days"



(EP Release: 1985)
I'm not sure there's a better way to start a Monday. I have my college girlfriend to thank for introducing me to Minor Threat, arguably the most important band to come out of Washington, D.C. Salad Days was Minor Threat's last release, issued after the band had already broken up. As such, it was somewhat of a bridge, metaphorically and sonically, to Ian MacKaye's later projects, including the great Fugazi. The song's title has its origins in Shakespeare, meaning a time of youth and inexperience. So, it is somewhat fitting that this post-breakup track is somewhat wistful about the old days. Though this song is incredibly fast, it probably seemed somewhat slower to most Minor Threat fans at the time. This slight change in tempo and style can certainly be followed to Fugazi. And, like most MInor Threat songs, if you can make out the lyrics, they are incredibly deep, insightful, and well written. There is a lot of meaning packed into "But I stay on, I stay on / Where do I get off? / On to greener pastures / The core has gotten soft." Frankly, that bass intro gives me paroxysms of anxious anticipation every time. It's also the best use of chimes since AC/DC's "Hell's Bells." And a hardcore punk song with melody? This could easily be my favorite hardcore track of all time. Yeah. Damn. Now I'm ready for the week.

No comments: