Monday, August 15, 2011

Great Songs from My Favorite Year in Music: 1985, Part 49

Pat Benatar - "Invincible (Theme from The Legend of Billie Jean)"



(Single Release: November 1985)
We will always associate Ray Parker, Jr. with Ghostbusters, Simple Minds with The Breakfast Club, and Huey Lewis with Back to the Future, but does anyone even remember The Legend of Billie Jean? Yeah, I didn't think so. The film tanked at the box office. It has apparently found a cult audience, but I have yet to meet that cult. But, every 80s movie had to have a powerful theme song, and for this tale of teenage rebellion, they got the great Pat Benatar. She was already a concretely established artist with over six albums and thirteen top 100 singles. While the movie may have bombed, the song did gangbusters, becoming her fourth biggest hit at the time, after "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," "Love is a Battlefield," and "We Belong." That's pretty damn good company. I'm not sure if I would place it fourth in my top ten list of Benatar tracks, as most of Crimes of Passion and Precious Time would make that list, but it is still a kick-ass song with a great chorus.

No comments: