Friday, August 26, 2011

Great Songs from My Favorite Year in Music: 1985, Part 60

David Bowie - "This is Not America"



(Single Release: February 1985)
Hey kids, remember The Falcon and the Snowman? Well, that's a shame. Not that I remember it all that well, but it seems like it should have been a good film. A young Sean Penn, director John Schlesinger, and Steven Zallian's first produced script? Yeah, it should be great. But, it is certainly not bandied about as one of the great movies of this or any other generation. But, it is known, at least among Bowie fans, as the film with "This is Not America," a collaboration with the movie's music producer, jazz musician Pat Metheny. It was written between two of Bowie's lesser albums, and when I say that, friends know that I say it lovingly. To some, it is a lone blip of brilliance amidst a few low points. It is, in fact, one of my favorite ever Bowie tracks. Why? There is just something about the laid-back nature of it, the dynamic range of Bowie's vocals, going from low croon to falsetto, and who can't resist the "sha-la-la-la's"? The song also contains some of the most intriguing lyrics in Bowie's career. I particularly enjoy the comparative end lines of "This is not America" and "This is not a miracle." Written specifically for the film, and even referencing the title character code names, the song spins a tale about Russian spies. But, in today's climate, I often have the song running through my brain whenever I hear about social injustices in this country. Writing this, and hearing his music, makes me once again realize that I miss David Bowie immensely. It has been eight long years since he has released any album-length material, when the longest he had ever gone before between albums was three years. Some say he won't release any more music. I don't even want to think about that version of reality. I'd rather hold out hope.

No comments: