Thursday, April 17, 2014

April 17, 2014

Good Morning!



Today is the birthday of Alexander Cartwright (1820 – 1892) who said:
"Let him hit it, you've got fielders behind you."





It is also the birthday of Karen Blixen (Isak Dinesin) (1885 – 1962) who said:
“The cure for anything is salt water — sweat, tears, or the salt sea.”

and
“All sorrows can be borne if you can put them into a story.”

and
“Of all the idiots I have met in my life, and the Lord knows they have not been few or little, I think that I have been the biggest.”

and
“Write a little every day, without hope, without despair.”





Happy Birthday to Thornton Wilder (1897 – 1975) who said:
“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.”

and
“The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude.”

and
“EMILY: 'Does anyone ever realize life while they live it...every, every minute?'
STAGE MANAGER: 'No. Saints and poets maybe...they do some.'  "




Also to Cynthia Ozick (1928 - ) who said:
“We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.”

and
“What we remember from childhood we remember forever - permanent ghosts, stamped, inked, imprinted, eternally seen.”

and
“If we had to say what writing is, we would have to define it essentially as an act of courage.”





Today is the birthday of Nick Hornby (1957 - ) who said:
“People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands - literally thousands - of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss.”

and
“What came first – the music or the misery? Did I listen to the music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to the music? Do all those records turn you into a melancholy person?”





Finally, it is the birthday of Liz Phair (1967 - ) who said:

“I am just like you and everyone else. I am trying to live my life as best I can.”

No comments: