Thursday, December 10, 2015

Today's Words of Wisdom - December 10, 2015

Today is the birthday of the following people:



George MacDonald (1824 – 1905):
“To try to be brave is to be brave.”

and
“It is by loving and not by being loved that one can come nearest to the soul of another.”





Emily Dickinson (1830 – 1886):
“If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain.”

and
“If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can warm me, I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only ways I know it. Is there any other way?”

and
“The dearest ones of time, the strongest friends of the soul--BOOKS.”




Thomas Lux (1946 - ):
“No poem ever bought a hamburger, or not too many.”

and
“The voice you hear when you read to yourself
is the clearest voice: you speak it
speaking to you.”




Kenneth Branagh (1960 - ):
“One of the things that makes Hamlet unique among Shakespeare's characters is his courage to face up to the darker elements of his personality.”

and

“The elasticity of Shakespeare is extraordinary.”




No comments: