Friday, July 15, 2011

Great Songs from My Favorite Year in Music: 1985, Part 18

LL Cool J - "I Can't Live Without My Radio"



(Single Release: October 1985)
Ah, the boombox. Is there any better symbol of the early days of hip-hop? The boombox, Adidas sneaks, and maybe a big VW symbol on a gold chain, these are the touchstones of the genesis of commercial hip-hop, and specifically of the juggernaut that became Def Jam Records. Run-D.M.C., the Beastie Boys, Rick Rubin, and LL Cool J delivered hip-hop to the mainstream, and teenage me loved every minute of it. There was something both fierce and accessible about LL Cool J. He might not have been the first rapper I ever heard; I honestly can't remember who that was, but he was one of the first with universal appeal. This track and "Rock the Bells" were my favorites from his debut album, Radio, a shot across the bow of suburban America, signaling one of many volleys that would spark a revolution for years to come. They said hip-hop was a fad. Well, spanning over several decades now, that's one hell of a fad!

No comments: