Sunday, July 3, 2011

Great Songs from My Favorite Year in Music: 1985, Part 6

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - "Tupelo"



(Single Release: july 1985)
Nick Cave is yet another artist that I hadn't discovered until years into his storied career. I don't consider this a bad thing, as had I been introduced to his dark, brooding, and tortured rock in 1985, my adolescent mind wouldn't have been able to cope. I had enough angst as it was. Thankfully, there is no wrong time to discover the wonders of the music of Nick Cave and his Bad Seeds. "Tupelo," from Cave's sophomore album, The Firstborn is Dead, is his ode to Elvis, telling an apocalyptic, Old Testament-style, fire and brimstone tale of Elvis' portentous birth, as if he were either the second coming, or the result of some unholy coupling. Cave's delivery seems to hint at something evil brewing, a theme that would pervade many of his compositions, but this seems more that there are signs and omens that somehow inevitably point to the birth of the King, who came ten years after the Great Mississippi Flood, and carried the burden of Tupelo with him wherever he went.

No comments: