Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Highlights from My Vinyl Collection, Part 9



This is the ninth installment of "Highlights from My Vinyl Collection," an appreciation of great music, not necessarily rare finds or expensive imports. This is not about "deleted Smiths singles and original, not rereleased - underlined - Frank Zappa albums," as Rob Gordon so eloquently put it, though a small few select gems might appear every now and again.



America - History: America's Greatest Hits

I felt the need to highlight America due to the recent passing of Dan Peek, one of the band's cofounders. I picked up this compilation recently for only $1.99, which is only a fraction of the nostalgic price I'd put on it. America was one of the staples that we'd listen to in my father's car. Along with other classic A.M. radio greats, America would be on regular rotation. Everyone knows and loves "A Horse with No Name," but my favorite was always "Ventura Highway." The Southern California locale, the reference to alligator lizards, resonant acoustic guitars, and gorgeous vocal harmonies all lend to the song's magic. "Sister Golden Hair" is another great track, making at least three indispensable America songs. Though I like the other tracks, too, I really paid about seventy cents per track on vinyl, a better deal than iTunes, plus bonus songs! I've expressed my issues with compilation records in the past, but this and other classic rock greatest hits comps are an exception. America, Little River Band, Chicago, and many other of the 70s radio mainstays pack a lot of punch by collecting the hits on one volume. Every time I hear "Ventura Highway" or "A Horse with No Name," I am immediately transported back to being in my dad's car. I treasure those times, and the music my dad played. Whether he knew it or not, he was priming us for a lifetime of loving great music. Though we might not agree on everything, we see eye to eye on the important stuff. America is one of the important ones. R.I.P. Dan Peek, "There ain't no one for to give you no pain..."

No comments: