Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Highlights from My Vinyl Collection, Part 4



This is the fourth installment of "Highlights from My Vinyl Collection," an appreciation of great music, not necessarily rare finds or expensive imports. This is not about "deleted Smiths singles and original, not rereleased - underlined - Frank Zappa albums," as Rob Gordon so eloquently put it, though a small select gems might appear every now and again.



The Stone Roses - "Fools Gold 9.53"

Last time around, I wrote about a lime green vinyl release of the Breeders' "Head to Toe," and it got me to thinking about all the colored vinyl in my collection, and in particular, the first colored vinyl purchase I ever made. I don't know what it is about this gimmick. I'm usually hyperaware of marketing ploys, but vinyl seems to be a rare exception. I'm more than okay with it, in fact I embrace it. Why? Because it usually doesn't translate into a higher price. Case in point, The Stone Roses' "Fools Gold." The 12" single I bought (that still has the $4.99 price tag from the now defunct Penny Lane) was pressed in gold, appropriately enough, but it would have cost the same if it were in the regular black vinyl. The important thing here is that the near ten minute version of the song is one of the funkiest, grooviest examples of Britpop ever recorded. The Stone Roses are mythic. With only two album releases under their belt, they are the definition of the band that went out on top. Frankly, they could have even stopped after the first album, which is too often overlooked in critical lists of the best debuts. Sparse on lyrics, but rich in drum and bass, with a modicum of funk guitar, "Fools Gold" is a dance anthem that doubles as skinny hipster darling. Included on the 12" is its double a-side (for the 45), "What the World is Waiting For" and the four minute version of the title track. Both are non-album singles, proving that the Manchester band certainly had more magic in it than just one album.

No comments: