Monday, July 4, 2011

Great Songs from My Favorite Year in Music: 1985, Part 7

The Chameleons - "Perfume Garden"



(Album Release: October 1985)
I would have loved the Chameleons in 1985. With my love of Anglo-import music such as Echo, New Order, Aztec Camera, and so many others, these Mancunians would have fit right in. The first time hearing "Perfume Garden" was a revelation. It was as if I were hearing a song that was at the same time a cornerstone and building block of today's popular bands (Interpol, anyone?) as well as something that was altogether timeless. There is almost nothing about this song that betrays its age. I would argue that this song could be shuffled on a Pandora station with modern bands and nobody would bat an eye. They never got as big as their contemporaries, but let's hope that time can amend that situation.

No comments: