Saturday, August 29, 2015

Today's Words of Wisdom - August 29, 2015

Today is the birthday of the following people:


Temple Grandin (1947 - ):
“I am different, not less.”

and
“Nature is cruel but we don't have to be.”

and
“I don’t want my thoughts to die with me, I want to have done something. I’m not interested in power, or piles of money. I want to leave something behind. I want to make a positive contribution - know that my life has meaning.”




John Locke (1632 – 1704):
“Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours.”

and
“The only defense against the world is a thorough knowledge of it.”




Thom Gunn (1929 – 2004):

“Deep feeling doesn't make for good poetry. A way with language would be a bit of help.”




Chris Hadfield (1959 - ):
“Decide in your heart of hearts what really excites and challenges you, and start moving your life in that direction. Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow, and the day after that. Look at who you want to be, and start sculpting yourself into that person. You may not get exactly where you thought you'd be, but you will be doing things that suit you in a profession you believe in. Don't let life randomly kick you into the adult you don't want to become.”

and
“I wasn't lonely. Loneliness, I think, has very little to do with location. It's a state of mind. In the center of every city are some of the loneliest people in the world. If anything, because our whole planet was just outside the window, I felt even more aware of and connected to the seven billion other people who call it home.”

and
“It’s not enough to shelve your own competitive streak. You have to try, consciously, to help others succeed.”




Charlie Parker (1920 – 1955):
“They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art.”




Ingrid Bergman (1915 – 1982):
“A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.”




No comments: